The most popular event of Sex Week 2013 came back for another round in 2014. On March 6 at 9 p.m. in the UC Auditorium, Lambda Student Union held its annual drag show fundraiser as part of Sex Week. The drag show gave LGBT students a chance to strut their stuff, showcase [...]
The Square Room, located in downtown Knoxville at 4 Market Square, will be showcasing a variety of local bands on the first Wednesday of every month with doors opening at 8 p.m. The Square Room Showcase began in November 2013 and held its fourth consecutive event on Wednesday, March 5; featuring local bands such as [...]
The International House celebrated the best of Japanese culture this week with movies, tea, a cooking demonstration and performances. The movie shown Monday was Tokyo Sonata, a film about the lives of a family during the years following the Japanese recession of the early 1990s and the struggles they endured because of it. Snacks and [...]
Gary Sousa was removed as UT’s Pride of Southland marching band director Thursday. He will retain his position as a tenured professor. Sousa’s removal comes after a public debate with university administrators last October concerning funding cuts for the band. In a letter to Sousa, Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor Susan Martin said the university [...]
An assistant professor at UT will address the state of deteriorating wildlife at the UT Science Forum that is being held Friday, March 7 at noon in the Thompson-Boling Arena Ding room C-D. Dr. Marcy J. Souza will present “Epidemics of Less Glamorous Wildlife: What Can We Do to Stop Them?” at the weekly lecture [...]
Sex Week is hosting various talks this week about topics that educate college students on the different aspects of sexual education. On Wednesday March 4, Sex Week hosted an abstinence talk. Tory Mills a worker at Planned Parenthood gave the talk and presented an interactive program with discussion on what abstinence is. “What I am [...]
On March 3, Lynn Sacco, an associate professor of history, discussed the history of sex and how it changes as society gives it a new meaning. Sacco specializes in gender and sexuality. “If you look back on sexuality, it’s about social issues and authority,” Sacco said. Sacco discussed this topic often in her class and [...]
Ellen DeGeneres, host of the 2014 Academy Awards, broke a world record when her star-studded selfie was retweeted over 2.7 million times. Although this year’s award show may have featured some of the tightest races in recent Oscar history, a single picture is generating all of the news. DeGeneres’s selfie, which included nominees Brad Pitt, Lupita [...]
The 2014 Volapalooza line up was announced during Vol Night Long on Feb. 28 at 11 p.m. Critically acclaimed neo soul band Fitz and the Tantrums will be headlining this years Volapalooza with special guest The Dirty Guv’nahs and the Delta Saints. The Dirthy Guv’nahs were present at Vol Night Long to play an acoustic [...]
A glimpse into the strip's newest bakery.
Video by Savannah Lucas
More video stories can be found in the TNJN video section.
TNJN on Twitter
Photos on flickr
- Feature: The Other Side of Immigration December 2, 2013
- Knoxville Film Festival to premiere at Regal Downtown West September 19, 2013
- Dance Society hosts art appreciation showcase November 30, 2013
- UT Pi Kappa Phi chapter shut down for hazing allegations December 2, 2013
- Medal of Honor Project December 3, 2013
- Lambda Student Union drag show features star performers March 9, 2014
- UT hosts district competition for National History Day March 9, 2014
- 5 reasons to be excited for Fitz and the Tantrums headlining Volapalooza March 8, 2014
- TNJN Spotlight: Local talent showcased monthly at downtown venue March 8, 2014
- Sex Week hosts religious panel to discuss sexuality, faith March 8, 2014
- BOSS dance company presents fourth annual spring showcase | Tennessee Journalist: [...] dancers were first asked to perform the Can-...
- Jose Amaro: I was delighted to read about your Pedro Pan exper...
- chuck turner: Why are people calling this the 1st film festival ...
Since Oct. 12, 2006, the Tennessee Journalist has served as the news website of the School of Journalism and Electronic Media at the University of Tennessee.
This site is operated by a staff of students who make many of the posting and policy decisions. It contains news reports generated by the staff and by journalism classes at UT. As such, TNJN.com is a central part of the curriculum of the School.