Tennessee’s basketball team will play its biggest game of the season tomorrow. The Vols are on the NCAA tournament’s proverbial bubble for the third consecutive year under head coach Cuonzo Martin. They come into the game at 19-11 (10-7) and will take on the Missouri Tigers, who are 21-9 (9-8). Saturday’s game is likely a [...]
As Selection Sunday approaches, the senior laden Tennessee Volunteers are seated firmly on the same bubble that has eluded them the last two seasons. In Head Coach Cuonzo Martin’s first two years at the helm, the Vols have been left out of the NCAA tournament and selected to play in the NIT tournament. While it [...]
While many coaches would be celebrating the fact that their team is off to its best start in school history, Tennessee baseball head coach Dave Serrano isn’t celebrating yet. “I thought we got bored with winning,” said Serrano. “We got complacent in the middle innings. We can’t win enough to ever get bored.” Despite their [...]
The Tennessee Volunteers took down in-state rival Vanderbilt 76-38 on Saturday, in what was the most lopsided SEC game the season. Senior guard Antonio Barton led Tennessee and was the only double-digit scorer in the entire game with 21 points. A special pre-game ceremony for former Tennessee basketball star Dale Ellis took place in Thompson-Boling [...]
The University of Tennessee’s Center for the Study of Youth and Political Conflict is conducting research intended to improve educational success of refugees in the United States. Within the last 30 years, nearly three million refugees have resettled in the states. Last year 170 refugees were placed in Knoxville, and many were children in need [...]
Faculty and students alike heard the sound of a fire alarm during afternoon workshops at the 1st Annual Jazz Festival in the Alumni Memorial Building on the UT Campus, but it did not stop the musical fun for very long. A small camera had caught on fire on the upper floor of the Alumni Memorial [...]
The Tennessee Titans finished the 2013 year with another pedestrian season, finishing at 7-9. It was the franchise’s 5th straight season without a playoff appearance and this year marks a straight decade that the team has not won a playoff game. The AFC south was not especially tough this year, and the Titans 3-1 start [...]
UPDATE: On Monday night, the state House of Representatives voted 69-17 to approve a resolution that “condemns the organizers” of Sex Week at the University of Tennessee. The resolution, sponsored by Rep. Richard Floyd, R-Chattanooga, originally condemned “the administration of the University of Tennessee,” but was later amended to condemn only the organizers. Sex Week [...]
The men’s basketball team took care of business Saturday in front of 17,215 people at Thompson-Boling Arena. Coming off a tough road loss at Vanderbilt, the Vols rebounded, literally and metaphorically, to pound the South Carolina Gamecocks, 72-53. The win helped the Vols improve to 15-8 (6-4), while South Carolina fell to 8-15 (1-9). Saturday’s [...]
Last Wednesday, the University of Tennessee completed its 2014 football signing class. The Vols added 34 total prospects to this year’s upcoming squad. Referred to as “Team 118” by Coach Butch Jones, this year’s team definitely had some holes to fill, coming off a lackluster 5-7 season. Most of its needs were met with the [...]
A glimpse into the strip's newest bakery.
Video by Savannah Lucas
More video stories can be found in the TNJN video section.
TNJN on Twitter
Photos on flickr
- Dance Society hosts art appreciation showcase November 30, 2013
- Knoxville Film Festival to premiere at Regal Downtown West September 19, 2013
- Feature: The Other Side of Immigration December 2, 2013
- UT students show strong opposition to proposed food plan December 2, 2013
- Mayor Rogero talks downtown Christmas fun at city meeting December 2, 2013
- 5 reasons to be excited for Fitz and the Tantrums headlining Volapalooza March 8, 2014
- TNJN Spotlight: Local talent showcased monthly at downtown venue March 8, 2014
- Sex Week hosts religious panel to discuss sexuality, faith March 8, 2014
- Preview: Tennessee vs. Missouri, Must-Win Senior Day for Vols March 8, 2014
- Martin, Vols Seeking NCAA Tournament Bid March 8, 2014
- BOSS dance company presents fourth annual spring showcase | Tennessee Journalist: [...] dancers were first asked to perform the Can-...
- Jose Amaro: I was delighted to read about your Pedro Pan exper...
- chuck turner: Why are people calling this the 1st film festival ...
Since Oct. 12, 2006, the Tennessee Journalist has served as the news website of the School of Journalism and Electronic Media at the University of Tennessee.
This site is operated by a staff of students who make many of the posting and policy decisions. It contains news reports generated by the staff and by journalism classes at UT. As such, TNJN.com is a central part of the curriculum of the School.