Starting this Friday, University of Tennessee students, faculty and staff will have an opportunity to walk with a Vol celebrity on campus. Walk With a Vol will be a free monthly walking series held by the Center for Physical Activity and Health and will start at the Health, Physical Education and Recreation (HPER) building at 12 [...]
You are entering your first day in Art 150, “The Idea of Design,” and are looking over your syllabus. Except this isn’t an ordinary syllabus. This outline contains something you aren’t quite used to: your tests consist of a card game. Rather than memorizing a bunch of names and pictures and regurgitating it onto a [...]
Faculty and students alike heard the sound of a fire alarm during afternoon workshops at the 1st Annual Jazz Festival in the Alumni Memorial Building on the UT Campus, but it did not stop the musical fun for very long. A small camera had caught on fire on the upper floor of the Alumni Memorial [...]
This Saturday, Feb. 22, middle and high school students will walk the halls of the University of Tennessee when it hosts its first annual Jazz Festival. This is an opportunity for students to sharpen their skills and perform in front of members of the Knoxville Jazz Orchestra and receive critique on tone quality, intonation, musical [...]
The men’s basketball team took care of business Saturday in front of 17,215 people at Thompson-Boling Arena. Coming off a tough road loss at Vanderbilt, the Vols rebounded, literally and metaphorically, to pound the South Carolina Gamecocks, 72-53. The win helped the Vols improve to 15-8 (6-4), while South Carolina fell to 8-15 (1-9). Saturday’s [...]
Last Wednesday, the University of Tennessee completed its 2014 football signing class. The Vols added 34 total prospects to this year’s upcoming squad. Referred to as “Team 118” by Coach Butch Jones, this year’s team definitely had some holes to fill, coming off a lackluster 5-7 season. Most of its needs were met with the [...]
The University of Tennessee’s College of Arts and Sciences will be holding their first annual Sophomore Step-Up event at 4 p.m. Wednesday, Feb. 5 in Thompson-Boling Arena. The event is intended for all sophomores, both with declared and undeclared majors. Each department in the college will have a table and will be arranged by discipline: natural [...]
As Super Bowl XLVIII approaches, the Denver Broncos and the Seattle Seahawks are deep into their preparations for what promises to be a game to remember. As they look forward to their titanic clash in the New Jersey swamp lands, several University of Tennessee alumni figure to be prominently involved. While the obvious, and most [...]
“Jules and Jim” and “Dr. Strangelove” are not films that take up the big screens in local theaters, especially in Knoxville, Tenn. Labeled obscure or art films, movies like these are hidden from the public and left for interested students to seek out — the UT Cinema Club looks to do just that. Handing [...]
A profile of a local bakery that specializes in treats for man's best friend.
Video by Savannah Lucas
More video stories can be found in the TNJN video section.
TNJN on Twitter
Photos on flickr
- Feature: The Other Side of Immigration December 2, 2013
- Dance Society hosts art appreciation showcase November 30, 2013
- Knoxville Film Festival to premiere at Regal Downtown West September 19, 2013
- The Whipping Man comes to Carousel Theatre February 1, 2014
- Two Superbowl snacks to make this Sunday February 1, 2014
- Donnie Tyndall shows focus, humor in introductory conference April 23, 2014
- 6 reasons to go see Neighbors April 22, 2014
- UT physicists to address questions after showing of “Particle Fever” documentary April 18, 2014
- Highlighting our Grads: UT senior selected for abroad fellowship to Amsterdam April 17, 2014
- Big Orange Orchard to provide accessible fruit, veggie gardens April 16, 2014
- BOSS dance company presents fourth annual spring showcase | Tennessee Journalist: [...] dancers were first asked to perform the Can-...
- Jose Amaro: I was delighted to read about your Pedro Pan exper...
- chuck turner: Why are people calling this the 1st film festival ...
Since Oct. 12, 2006, the Tennessee Journalist has served as the news website of the School of Journalism and Electronic Media at the University of Tennessee.
This site is operated by a staff of students who make many of the posting and policy decisions. It contains news reports generated by the staff and by journalism classes at UT. As such, TNJN.com is a central part of the curriculum of the School.