Tennessee’s basketball team will play its biggest game of the season tomorrow. The Vols are on the NCAA tournament’s proverbial bubble for the third consecutive year under head coach Cuonzo Martin. They come into the game at 19-11 (10-7) and will take on the Missouri Tigers, who are 21-9 (9-8). Saturday’s game is likely a [...]
As Selection Sunday approaches, the senior laden Tennessee Volunteers are seated firmly on the same bubble that has eluded them the last two seasons. In Head Coach Cuonzo Martin’s first two years at the helm, the Vols have been left out of the NCAA tournament and selected to play in the NIT tournament. While it [...]
Gary Sousa was removed as UT’s Pride of Southland marching band director Thursday. He will retain his position as a tenured professor. Sousa’s removal comes after a public debate with university administrators last October concerning funding cuts for the band. In a letter to Sousa, Provost and Senior Vice Chancellor Susan Martin said the university [...]
The men’s basketball team took care of business Saturday in front of 17,215 people at Thompson-Boling Arena. Coming off a tough road loss at Vanderbilt, the Vols rebounded, literally and metaphorically, to pound the South Carolina Gamecocks, 72-53. The win helped the Vols improve to 15-8 (6-4), while South Carolina fell to 8-15 (1-9). Saturday’s [...]
Last Wednesday, the University of Tennessee completed its 2014 football signing class. The Vols added 34 total prospects to this year’s upcoming squad. Referred to as “Team 118” by Coach Butch Jones, this year’s team definitely had some holes to fill, coming off a lackluster 5-7 season. Most of its needs were met with the [...]
The University of Tennessee will feature the 2014 Joint Regional Conference of The College Music Society Southern Chapter and Mid-Atlantic Chapter, and the Association of Technology in Music Instruction in the Natalie L. Haslam Music Center from Thursday, Feb. 13 to Saturday, Feb. 15. “The University of Tennessee School of Music is pleased to host [...]
The Ula Love Doughty Carousel Theatre spring season kicks off with a three man show – The Whipping Man. The play opens on Jan. 31, starting at 7:30 p.m. The play continues in the Carousel Theatre on Jan. 31-Feb.2, Feb.5-9 and Feb.12-16. All showings are at 7:30 p.m. The play, by Matthew Lopez, based on [...]
VOLS WORKING BEHIND THE SCENES OF SUPER BOWL XLVIII A group of UT students, a faculty member and an alumna are heading to New Jersey this week to work on various special events before and during Super Bowl XLVIII, which will air Sunday, Feb. 2 at 6:30 p.m. KNOXVILLE MAYOR TO VISIT TURKEY Knoxville Mayor [...]
After another disappointing start the Lady Vols rallied to defeat the University of Texas 75 to 61. The Lady Vols started Sunday afternoon’s game with another new lineup. Freshman Mercedes Russell recorded her first career start for the Vols while sophomore Jasmine Jones got her first start of this season. While those two players only [...]
Justin Ruffin is a senior at UT majoring in Advertising is passionate about capturing moments in people’s lives.
A glimpse into the strip's newest bakery.
Video by Savannah Lucas
More video stories can be found in the TNJN video section.
TNJN on Twitter
Photos on flickr
- Dance Society hosts art appreciation showcase November 30, 2013
- Knoxville Film Festival to premiere at Regal Downtown West September 19, 2013
- Feature: The Other Side of Immigration December 2, 2013
- UT students show strong opposition to proposed food plan December 2, 2013
- Mayor Rogero talks downtown Christmas fun at city meeting December 2, 2013
- 5 reasons to be excited for Fitz and the Tantrums headlining Volapalooza March 8, 2014
- TNJN Spotlight: Local talent showcased monthly at downtown venue March 8, 2014
- Sex Week hosts religious panel to discuss sexuality, faith March 8, 2014
- Preview: Tennessee vs. Missouri, Must-Win Senior Day for Vols March 8, 2014
- Martin, Vols Seeking NCAA Tournament Bid March 8, 2014
- BOSS dance company presents fourth annual spring showcase | Tennessee Journalist: [...] dancers were first asked to perform the Can-...
- Jose Amaro: I was delighted to read about your Pedro Pan exper...
- chuck turner: Why are people calling this the 1st film festival ...
Since Oct. 12, 2006, the Tennessee Journalist has served as the news website of the School of Journalism and Electronic Media at the University of Tennessee.
This site is operated by a staff of students who make many of the posting and policy decisions. It contains news reports generated by the staff and by journalism classes at UT. As such, TNJN.com is a central part of the curriculum of the School.